Originally Posted By J_BODY
doing live data is a pita since they went wireless based scan tool. There is no “copilot” you can leave with the customer now.

Yea I retired on disability in 2011 and we had already went to the laptop tech tool scanner. I would have thought they would have given it data recording ability as I loved having it. But I worked on mostly hard jobs that had been back a few times and other techs could not get them to act up. So for what I did it was great to use since I did not have to be looking at any scanner when the problem happened. Most straight flat rate techs did not want to use it and I can understand why as they could not make any money using it. I was the shop foreman and was paid on a base salary so I could work headache jobs and not worry about loosing my butt on the job. The shame is most dealers should have a diagnostic person who is paid a type of salary when they work jobs like that. The shame is most dealers wont do that. I had to spend alot of time on a Durango one time that would turn the ck eng lite on about once a week and set the code for "Gov pressure sensor volts to high". I Data recorded the car myself but could not get it to happen and had the customer data record it with the co-pilot. And of course had replace the Gov sensor and Duty cycle solenoid along with a few other parts along with testing and checking the trans wire harness. I saw the voltage jump way past the 5 volt operating range on one of the recordings the customer took. I had talked with the Mopar tech line a good bit also and every time I thought I fixed it a week later it came back with the same code. I finally got with one of the tech engineers who figured it out as it was the passenger side downstream 02 sensor causing the problem. I thought what the Heck confused . Yes the way the controller looks at that 02 sensor just before it looks at the trans Gov pressure sensor helped him figure out that the heater was shorting on that 02 sensor and spiking 12 volts into the trans press sensor circuit was causing the problem. I can tell you if I had not been on a type of salary I would never have been able to spend the time needed on that job and still make a living. No flat rater would have wanted to stick with it because Mopar wont pay for all that diagnostic time. But the data recorder did see the problem happen and can be a huge help in fixing odd problems like that. Many times it helped me to just narrow down what circuit a problem was in. But as I said I was the only tech who took the time to learn how to use it but I was a working shop foreman who did make sure I was getting paid to work with it. When I left it 2011 the tech tool laptop actually had a spot for data recording but it was not working and I guess from what you said they never did make it operate. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 12/22/17 11:33 PM.