Guys,

I have been thinking for awhile on how I could up the fun factor on my 1973 Charger. One of the things that grinds on me with this car is the high rev's on the highway and just being not as fun as it could be for longer trips.

I am also an appreciator of a good strong motor and a manual tranny. Therefore, I wanted to start doing some research on maybe doing a conversion from my current 727 to a TK600 or T56.

Here is what I have now:

- 1973 Charger mild BB 500 stroker (original motor) ~500hp/550tq
- non original 727 auto tranny (was a 727 car just original tranny was destroyed)
- 8.75 rear with Auburn limited slip unit 3.55 gear 28" tall street tires

I have looked a little on SST an Hurst's websites and I have some questions and need some input from those who have done this.

Of course, I would prefer the T56 over the TK600 but what concerns me is it appears you have to cut the entire frame to squeeze it in there. I am ok doing work on the tunnel but not so OK with cutting the frame on this mostly original car.

So, for those who are familiar with these swaps, can the TK600 be installed without cutting the frame? I understand no matter what the tunnel has to be patched but I REALLY don't want to butcher the frame plus I would think that might compromise the structure of the car...

Also, is the TK600 worth it or would I really be wishing I had gone for the T56?

My goals here are:
- no frame cutting (if that's possible)
- fun factor (decent OD for cruising)
- factory-looking shifter setup
- will live behind this motor with street tires

Also, has anybody here actually done this swap and can tell me the cost for the whole deal? This is an auto car so I would need EVERYTHING pedals, slave cylinder, clutch, bellhousing, etc. I am guessing in the 4-5K range?

Or should I leave this alone and not cut into this mostly original car at all?

Any input is appreciated! thumbs