It has a lot to do with what kind of building the car is stored in. If a metal building, then there can be a wide range of temp changes over night and almost everyday. This will cause moisture to form inside the engine, and contaminate the oil, and start corrosion to form. In this case why put new oil in to get contaminated and have to be changed in the spring. But like in my case, my car is in a basement, which the temps hardly vary, and from summer to winter it takes weeks for them to change, so I don't worry about it. I have seen airplane cylinders go bad with corrosion from sitting in a metal hanger, and remember that when you restart up something that has surface rust, then all of the power gets spread through the engine like sand.
If you really would like to store it right, they make these heating pads for airplane engines that stick to the oil pan and block, then you can keep the engine at the same warm temp all winter. They also make blowers that blow hot air through hoses that can be directed into the engine bay, and not only the engine, but everything can be kept warm.