Throwing the race is an example of how Big Money ruins purity, and eventually, the Sport that brings in the Big Money.
"We have seen the Enemy, and He is Us."
Back in the day, sure, it was about winning, but sportsmanship & honor were held in high regard, if not being absolutely essential. Guys raced out of their garages. Your team was your buddies who contributed. One car. Problem was, nobody earned any real money at it and some guys wanted to, which is understandable. Plus it was getting more expensive to win as new parts were invented to feed the/our addiction.
It's pretty much human nature: racers want to go faster/quicker, fans like the big numbers, racing-related businesses need income, and things spiral. The only guys that pretty much have a handle on it are the Nostalgia guys.
I think it was Capps that mentioned that a lot of fans were booing Force all down the return road, obviously concluding that he'd thrown the race and they'd been gypped out of the show that every ticket-holder pays for. That sure isn't good for the Sport, NHRA, or the sponsors.
So at the end of the day, or at the bottom line, whatever, one has to choose: sportsmanship or money? Like I said earlier, I understand the money; but I have more appreciation for sportsmanship, as I find it more noble and worthy of more respect.