Originally Posted By astjp2
How is timing changed on propane vs gas? I have my plow truck that starts great when its cold but wont turn over when the engine is hot on propane....could that be a timing issue?

That would be a electrical issue, imo battery cables are the problem since it was used in snow.

I have been around LP fueled vehicles since 1983, with my first exposure was a 1980 F350 with 351 gas motor on LP. It could also run on gasoline and used a old 300 mixer like they all did then like said above.
Then we had chevy caprise on LP and tanks in the trunk with rubber spring helpers in the rear springs. Then a chys 5th ave and chevy powered bobtails that had 427s in them that ran on LP gas. They ran straight off the 2600 gallon LP bulk tank it carried. tALK ABOUT NEVER RUNNING OUT OF GAS.
I did a forklift conversion years ago myself.

Yup years ago you did have to tune for one or the other but not anymore because it is done with a computer now.

I currently have 3 vehicles on LP gas and 2 are bi fuel systems and run the same on gas or LP gas. They are a little louder on LP gas but runs about the same.

I run ford V 10s because for 312 bucks I can get optional hardened valves and valve seats in these V10s.

Try to order that in new chevy or ram. Impossible to get from ram and chevy wants 12000 bucks for there CNG option which includes much more in a package for CNG. So if you want to run LP today ford is the way to go.

That 1980 f350 was used for 10 years straight and racked up 210000 miles during that time always on LP gas. No problems with valves and I sold the truck to a local guy and I saw it on the road for years later after that. LP fueled engine was a selling point, meant low carbon engine.

Currently I have a state of the art ICOM system and a XSI system on ford V10s, 2012 and 2014. They both run the same whether there on LP or gasoline.

The systems are both big bucks and not worth it when gas is 2.50 a gallon, but when it gets to 4 bucks it is a bargain.

But hey I am keeping the air cleaner and the trees greener!!... I think? work smile

To the OP, if you got the parts then heck yes I would do it. It is not hard to do on a older motor and can be done cheap.
My only advise would be keep it bi fuel and run it once a week on gasoline for few minutes to keep the carburetor in shape. Good luck with it and keep us posted. The cloth braided hoses we used then had reusable fittings on it that were field installed. So if have those you can modify the hose to fit your setup better for free.
Now a days they do not sell those fittings anymore because too many misused them and hurt themselves. Plus the EPA made them change the way the build hoses and the ID is not always the same anymore. Plus ever notice how the new hoses want to coil and the old ones did not, Thank the EPA.