Originally Posted By Barrelhouse
Im having my 340 totally rebuilt my engine builder says that it would be a good idea to change my x heads to aluminum heads for better performance and lighter weight. What do you guys here on Moparts think is it a good idea and what are the best heads to use, thanks.

I have had good luck with edlebrock heads on my 340 and 440. Both got out of the box eddie heads and have ran great with no problems. My 340 is 10 years old now and has been driven 30K+ miles since then. I beat the crap out of the motor 3 different times/years out at Bonnelville running the motor at hi rpms for long periods of time.(many miles at a time and you can't hold it WFO but close...if you got the balls and motor) After those beatings it blew out the mufflers but the motor is still going strong. I drove it last night.

As soon as I backed out of the driveway after the rebuild and put it in first gear I could tell I had more ponies and a better handling car that was lighter. It took off like never before! The pistons were lighter too than the early hi compression pistons that were in there. I did not re balance the motor.

I used KB243 pistons on stock rods, CC the motor and it has 10.4-1 compression with open chamber 340 eddie heads made for the hi compression pistons. It runs great on 91 octane gasoline. twocents I built the motor.