I was against running a glide and wanted to run a 727 in my mopar dragster. I went glide as everyone said to go that way and there really is no good data out there for running a 3 speed in a dragster and making a short 727 is possible but expensive..

The weak link in a glide is the gearset which will break over time at 750 HP. I ran stock 1.76 ratio gearset and it broke after about 300 runs at 750 HP and 1900 pounds.

I have run the cut-off stock case and a JW bell with around 850HP in a 1900 pound dragster. Eventually I broke the rear of the stock case, maybe 3 years and 400 runs or so as I race twice a week when I can.

Time travel about 7 years, and now I run a JW case and JW bell equipped glide with an aftermarket 1.80 gearset behind a 1000HP Chevy engine. I am in the second year of running the trans since new and there are no apparent issues with the trans. Having run the JW setup, if I was to do it again, I would use the ATI 2 piece case with their mopar bell housing since the pump and bell are held on with different bolts while the JW hold the bell to the pump with the pump bolts.

Things that you will need to make a glide work for a couple of years (400 runs) at the 1000 HP (or heavy car – over 3000 pounds) are:

After market case and bell (ATI)
Aftermarket super servo (Sonax)
Aftermarket 10 clutch drum (fitted with 7 thick discs) lots of vendors
Aftermarket gearset 1.98 ratio (BTE is my choice)
The rest is all stock re-use

bob