I just bought a 90 360 roller motor with 74,000 miles on it. It is the throttle body FI engine. It came out of a 90 D250 pickup. I am putting it into a 73 Cuda. I plan on initially running it very mild; Edelbrock Performer intake (already have it on my 318), Holly spreadbore carb (also on the 318) but could go with a square bore Holly carb (any advice?), headers and stock OEM electronic ignition. Obviously the FI will go. It has the 308 heads on it. I am having difficulty finding the compression ratio of this engine. I understand stock it has 193 HP and 292 TQ. I think with the swirl port 308 heads it is around 9.0-1 ratio but I can't get confirmation on that. Anyone know the compression ratio? Also would like to hear comments on my future build idea keeping the bottom end stock:
1. port, polish and put bigger valve in the 308 heads
2. keep the Edelbrock intake but port match
3. keep the OEM electronic ignition but add an MSD box
4. put a bigger cam in it, something like the 268
5. headers
I would like to think with this combination I can get at or near 400 HP and 400 + TQ. This car will be a cruiser/driver that can give some spirited performance. One last question: I ran across on Allpar this statement by someone about using a carb on a fuel injection engine:
"I decided that TPI (Throttle Point/Body Injection) “stunk”, and I wanted to go to a simple 4 barrel carburetor and call it a day. But the swirl port heads and lower compression ratio of the heart shaped combustion chambers inside of the 1988 and older fuel injection heads (which were present on my 1990 boneyard motor) would not be “carb-friendly,” so I opted for 1983 police heads."
Any idea if this is accurate, can I expect issues with what I want to do and what can I do to eliminate any issues that there may be. This individual either has experienced an issue doing this or knows of someone else who has. If not, not sure why he had posted this.
Thanks in advance for any input, comment and advice.