Originally Posted By Supercuda
So, without he removable part you could have just used the Grant adapter designed to work with the obviously not original donor column?

My advice tot eh OP would be to consider swapping in a newer column to get things like integrated turn signals that self return. tilt/tele and the ability to use later steering wheels.

i believe that would be correct. the column uses just the tilt/tele knuckle, with the rest being fabbed up by me. as you may know, the locking mechanism for the telescopic part is routed through the original wheel, so in order to make the wheel removable, i had to re-locate the locking mechanism to the adapter. that took a little thinking, as i wanted to keep things as small and as simple as possible, but retain the strength of the factory design plus look reasonably nice when the wheel is removed. the horn connection is just a simple ground, but due to the size of the removable coupling [just a common dirt burner item], several items needed to be made to isolate the ground and yet make sure the contact points would work time after time, using the basic grant horn kit. you bring up a good point about the OP choosing a modern column for just the reasons you stated.
beer