The last Chevy smallblock before the LS motors used reverse cooling. The idea was to get the coolest water to the part that needed cooling the most. That way they could run a little more compression.So the water left the pump into both sides of the block then took a 90 and went up into the head. After the water spread around the head it was metered down into the block by specifically sized holes in head gaskets. The engines had air bleed holes aand tubes at the back ends of the heads.

The engine was called LT-1 like the original 370hp 350 from 1970. You can tell the blocks because on the front there are two separate holes on each side where normally there's be only one. Then also the blocks have pretty big holes for the water passage to the heads, at the front inside area of the deck. You can only use the engine with reverse cooling. Read all about it here:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech...system-526.html

It sounded like a good idea at the time, but I'm not sure exactly how well it worked. I guess I'd have to look at an LS engine to see if the reverse cooling idea survived.

R.

Last edited by dogdays; 08/17/17 10:47 PM.