Originally Posted By 440abody
Originally Posted By 383man
When you say you cant pull any codes did the scanner come on and communicate with the eng PCM ? Even if in the theft mode the scanner should still go into the PCM. Also you said it wont crank and I dont think the 2001 Neon theft could control the starter as I dont think the starter circuit was wired through the PCM on that year Neon. In the security theft mode it should still crank and start but then the eng will die right away. Did the scanner go into the PCM and read no codes or did the scanner not communicate with the PCM ? Ron

The scanner is not conneecting with the PCM. Will not read anthying, just shows no vehicle connected.

No new keys.

I have plugged and unplugged every conncetor I can get my hands on.

Checked any ground I can find, and all are clean and tight.

I do know that it has an immobilizer for the key in the column.
Currently we only have one key as the other is MIA.

So I need some education on the immobilizer and how it plays witj rest of the system. According to what I can tell, it does block tje crank function and the fuel pump. If this is true then how does it reset?

If it wont go into the PCM or communicate with any modules you have a power/communication problem. The first thing you need to do is find out why the scanner wont communicate. You need to check the power and grounds at the OBDII connector and if they are good check the power and grounds of the PCM. Even if the key module wont read the key the scanner should still connect and communicate so if you diagnose and fix that you should fix the car. I dont remember but do any dash warning lights come on when the key is turned on ? If they do look to see if the "check eng light" comes on when the key is turned on. Many times if it has a PCM problem that "check eng light" wont come on with the key first turned on which it should. It will go out in about 5 to 8 seconds but it should come on when the key is first turned on. Also have you tried to communicate with any other modules ? See if you can communicate with the air bag module or trans module if its an auto. I dont remember what year the Neon got the buss circuit but up to a certain the Neon did not have a buss (communication system between modules) and the PCM communicated over the SCI circuit. For the other modules the DRB III scanner turned on an internal buss to talk with the other modules. Thats why I would see if you can communicate with any of the cars modules. It also may have the SKIM system which is the ign node (SKIM module) or key module as many call it and if it does you should be able to talk to that module with a scanner also. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 07/17/17 11:53 PM.