Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:
That is true but the cam info is published for TDC

Where do you find that info? I don't think I've ever seen cam data that says what lift is at TDC.

For Comp Cams you need to look at the lobe profile catalog on the website. Not the regular catalog, but the lobe profile one. It will have lobe lift at TDC for a couple of different centerlines.

Every engine combo I build I measure the valve drop at TDC with the engine fully assembled. That way I know exactly how much clearance I have between the valve and the piston at TDC. Once you know that number you can calculate what your valve to piston clearance will be for any cam lobe. If you are good enough at your calculations you don't even need to measure the VP since it will be exactly what you calculated it out to be. I always double check but it is usually within a few thousands of what I calculated.

Lobe lift at TDC is related to duration more than lift. Most people assume that high lift cams will have less VP clearance but really it is the big duration cams that you have to watch out for. That and rocker arm ratio! The longer rocker arm ratio will absolutely eat up VP clearance.

Anyway, the information is all published so you just have to look for it and know what to do with it....