I have a 72 Challenger with power steering.
I replaced the steering box because it was old and leaking.
I replaced it with the same but rebuilt unit.
My steering wheel is almost 90 degrees off making the spokes almost but not quite straight up and down. I understand that if it were 180 off I could pull the column from the coupler and and turn the wheel 180 and re-install the column. This is not the problem.
I took it in for front end alignment to see if they can make the adjustment at the tie rods but I was told after they tried that there was not enough adjustment in the tie rods to make the steering wheel straight. I would not have enough threads left in the adjuster on one side.
I pulled the pitman arm off and turned the steering wheel from all the way left to all the way right. I have about 3 1/2 turns of the wheel. I took half of that, 1 3/4 turns and figured that would give me the same travel from left to right. However, I cannot install the pitman arm back on without turning the steering wheel some which puts me back where I was.
The shaft in the steering box is indexed in 4 places so the pitman arm can be installed in 4 locations but it would seem I would lose travel to one side if I turned the wheel to line the pitman arm up to one of the other spots.
What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by patosmith; 06/01/17 10:33 PM.