if this were me, i would start by trimming the inside panel, leaving roughly 1 1/2" around the perimiter, or the width of the edge of the central, lower access hole. then, fabricate a light weight mounting area for the inner release handle, although i would leave this mounting point until last to fabricate, so as to not have it in the road during the rest of the modification process. next, i would decide on how much of the bottom of the door i could eliminate buy using a plasma cutter to cut oval holes, leaving 1 to 1 1/2" strips "xxx" spaced along the bottom to hold the inner skin to the area used to fold the outer skin crimp. next, determine how much you can eliminate from the hinge and latch ends safely. next, get your large size unibit out and drill as many holes in the largest size[s] you feel comfortable with in the left over material. a unibit will work better than a standard bit drilling sheetmetal. next, i would remove the skin. lastly, remove the crash beam. the reason the skin and the crash beam are the last to go is they both will support the inner structure well as you cut it up. as i don't have the door[s] in question in front of my old eyeballs, this is just a generalization of what i would do. others will have different opinions as to what may, or may not, be the way to approach this project. good luck, and keep us informed as to what you do, and the reduction in weight you achieve.
beer