Correction:

In first paragraph of original post, I had said valve springs set at 155 pounds at seat and then inferred, pressure was established using LSM spring pressure tester.

155 pounds was set by machine shop who set up the Eddy heads. Subsequent on engine recheck of spring pressure was done using LSM's heads on engine spring tester where it measured 120 to 135 or so pounds.

As these pressures showed substantial reduction of pressure, I wish to calibrate this tool against a bench pressure tester, hence the reason to acqure one. Somewhat expensive but expect future usage for me and friends and being able to do myself.,,,the payback is reasonable.

From responses that have been posted, all three methods have advocates. Perhaps a combination of TDC method in combination with rope and air would give the belts and suspenders insurance and convenience I seek.

On the topic of finding TDC with rocker arms removed and intake off.

Might I assume that if both lifters are sitting on the heel of the cam(by observation at looking at lifter position in their respective holes), can I assume that piston is at or near TDC? If not close, then how to best achieve TDC! Perhaps with a long tie wrap or soda straw inserted into spark plug hole and watching as piston comes up, pushing it out of the hole?

If so and valve spring is removed, valve could/would fall into cylinder until it is stopped by piston, if no rope or air pressure?

How then would one raise valve back up and keep it there sufficient to install spring, retainer and keeper.

One thought would be Cal's approach to hold valve in place with an "O" ring. How then would you remove it once keepers are on? Snag it with a dental pick to break it, and then blow it away with a blast of air?

Keep those ideas coming. Also on if good idea to shim springs to regain proper pressures and exactly how that affects recommended install spring heights for better or worse. Beyond spring bind implications.

Last edited by Sxrxrnr; 04/24/17 05:00 PM.