Originally Posted By NachoRT74
I can't find any info on this and a friend from another board once measured and I THINK got 0 ohms ( it was long time ago ). actually the last time I got a shunt from a Mopar in hands really seemed to me a regular wire.

I have being playing with idea of the Ammeter shunt conversion on my 74 Charger using a 77/80 Lebaron ammeter, since is the same size, deepness and needle disposition. And got the led indicator which I think is a Low voltage indicator ? would need just to play with the face interchange and some other detail

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/attachments/img_4330-jpg.411428/
Shunts cannot be 0 ohms. They usually are a fraction of an ohm. Then the voltage drop across the shunt will determine the amount of current flowing. So on a shunt system, a volt meter is used and is calibrated to the current.
For example: A .01 ohm shunt will have a .01 volt drop across it when 1 amp is being drawn. 30 Amps will be .3 volts, etc. At 30 amps, the shunt will have to dissipate 9 Watts of heat that is wasted in the process.
Having said that, a calibrated piece of wire can function as a shunt. You will need an ohmeter that is capable of measuring fractional values. That is out of the realm of common digital multimeters out there. Just factoring out the test lead resistance in the measurement can be very complicated.
Craig

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado