Originally Posted By Supercuda
I'm with Goody

As for California emissions, last time I looked there was wiggle room there. Key is "engine replacement" vs "engine swap".

An engine swap would be putting a family of engine in it that was never an option. Like a 440 or any variation of Hemi.

Engine replacement would be putting an LA in where and LA was, like a 360 to replace a 318. As long as the 360 still sports all the original 318's emissions gear it is legal and no special requirements exist.

If you put a 440 in then you have to use a pass car 440 of same or newer year manufacture with all the 440's original emissions equipment then you need a BAR referee to verify and approve the swap.

A Diplomat with a 360 is fun, BTDT.

As for handling, every one bangs on the transverse torsion bar setup. I never had an issue with it's handling under performing for me. Anyone here actually have a personal example of this?

Not even close. The rules are that the engine MUST be the same year (any size, even one that was not available or even from the same manufacturer) to retain the emissions as the car or engine was originally equipped. No engine that is older than the vehicle is legal. Any engine that is newer than the vehicle must retain the emissions from the year of the engine.

People have been burned with generic replacement engines, but most smog mechanics in the past didn't worry about the year of the block as long as it "looked" stock for the way the car left the factory.

Last edited by Jim_Lusk; 03/19/17 01:37 AM.