Originally Posted By poorboy
Old Ray is right on. Everything on a Dakota is set up for the cab to sit behind the motor, and everything on the COE is set up to sit on top of the motor. Things like the steering from the Dakota would have to turn straight up, and stuff like shift linkage and brake stuff would actually have to go forward rather then back like a Dakota is set up.

A COE fits much better on a class C (bus style) motor home chassis because those primarily have forward driver controls and are a full frame design that would work better as a hauler. The 1 ton van chassis could work because they are also set up with forward driver controls, but all Mopar B vans since the early 70s are unibody construction from the driver seat rearward. The rear portion of the van unibody frames are pretty heavy boxed steel, but they still rely on the van floor for structural strength, something that may be difficult to pull off with a COE cab that actually sits up off the frame 12" or more.

The cab on the COE is the same cab as was used on pickups with the exception of longer doors, you can see the cab filler made to cover the distance between the bottom of the cab and the extended height of the frame in the picture of the rear of the cab. If the doors were opened, you should be able to see the steps built under the cab so the cab occupants can climb up into the cab, the extended doors cover the steps. That cab is raised up and moved forward to clear the motor. The cab support mounts are pretty sturdy and quite unusual. The front sheet metal is unique to the COE, and the front fender extensions accommodate the larger tires, and wider tire spacing on the 2 ton or larger COE chassis.

They make cool projects, but make your life easier and put it on a motor home chassis, but not one with the van nose. Gene
The 'bus' style motor home is a class A. biggrin

The van nose motor home is the class C. grin Which is what I have, and am turning into a flat bed. work

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown