Originally Posted By JohnRR
Originally Posted By njmopar
This annoyance doesnt stop. So I was able to find an NOS shaft about as close as possible to mine. This is for the 383 manual trans A-body distributor versus my auto. Short of an exact match, probably as good as it gets. I am smiling.
I get the box today and open it up, NOS box, sealed tight with original staples, never opened, wrapped in wax paper, feeling good. Size up the shaft and it is perfect length. Then I look and dont see the hole for the roll pin. NOS shafts dont come with this hole??
Yes, I can drill it, but man, this is not getting any easier. Drilling on a round hardened shaft is gonna be tough. I have a drill press, but need to come up with a way to ensure this thing does not move. I guess clamping it on some wood could work.

Interesting note. The 383 shaft has a different arrangement of the advance weight holes then I recall seeing. They are on an angle, unlike the 440 shaft I have and other distributors have. Weights also dont throw out as much before the springs kick in.

Good luck with that , 383 manual trans A body used a PRESTOLITE distributor, that is why you see a difference. Also not the numbers , the one on the left has 24 degrees mechanical advance , the right has 31 ... multiply the stamped number by 2.

I have a bunch distrbutor parts, I might have that shaft NOS ???

If you can find a NOS shaft 2875 175 in your stash, this may help me understand what is going on and keep my mental state solid.

The 68 FSM (attached) says both the manual and auto are Chrysler built. Also, take a look at the advance spec stated for at the distributor (which would be the number on the shaft?), the 15.5 for mine would be below the upper spec for 2500 RPM.
The 68 parts book show the same part numbers for both manual and auto distributors for the cap, rotor, points. Just the shaft and weight sets are different. Prestolite would be a dual point and different internals, I would think.
Are the FSM and Parts book wrong?

IMG_0452.JPG
68 FSM

IMG_0453.JPG
68 parts book

IMG_0450.JPG
parts book man trans

IMG_0451.JPG
parts book auto trans