So last year I installed a Borgeson box in my 68 B-Body. The install was on par with what others have experienced. I compromised and drove the box off center for the season.

Today I decided to dive back into the system and see what the heck is so wrong with this setup. What I am finding is a need to shim the box with over a 1/2" spacer on the double bolt side to get this thing even remotely in the right position.

I am fairly pissed.

As it stands, the Bergman conversion joint will not work with the box, as it is at to much of an extreme angle. In fact it's extreme enough that the steering is hard to turn with the wheels off the ground, and the seal is getting destroyed on the connector. I have decided that I will need to cut the shaft and use the little U-joint connector in place of the Bergman unit. However.... If I were to shim the box 1/2" to get the pitman arm in good relation to the linkage, I am worried it will be so far out that column will not line up with it.

As it stands my options are:

1. Center the box lock to lock, and drive around with un-even tie rods. This would be almost 3/4" difference from side to side.

2. Center the steering components and drive the box off center by almost 1/2 a turn on the steering wheel.

3. Purchase a new Borgeson box and hope that it's not as assed up as this one.

4. Try to re-key the pitman arm by grinding out all the master splines and clocking it over a tooth. And then HOPE that it's even close to center.

Are the new boxes having better luck with setup over the ones from last year?? I noticed the prices came down on them by $200