Originally Posted By 340SIX
Hack saw. Yes just the hack with fine teeth, and did it slow.
Did do a quite a few fill drains with stuff to neutralize the acid {baking powder and something else as well}
Inside is lead plates on a card board type sheet. So comes out ok but is dirty.
It is by no means a clean job but is easy
I do smelt 1000-2000 pounds of lead a year. I cast lead thingys as a hobby. Lead is OK with me but acid is not
But tossed this stuff properly since it is bad news.
Inside cleaned well. Is so clean now i use it as a prop and a real battery to drove / move car
In fact the pictures is taken in the living room.
When I did asked the wife to grab the battery so i could shoot some. She brought it to me lol Great when ya marry the right gal.
Sure is light easy and clean, and can have a battery in it to work as one is minutes.
Best would be to use The cables other way than I have them!
{IE} Bolt and washer to old post on underside of old post. Make sure when you cut it you leave enough to get the post flat on underside. That way you get a good tight fit! Cut it long and then cut a second time flat. Get it flat, so you can thread it and have enough for washers and bolt. That's why I cut top off, and not bottom method.
Note} I Used the cables the way I did since.
1) I had the 2 adapters for side post battery here new in pack. As well as the Cables 2} The Battery I was using had top post terminals
I could have used the cables the other way. But did nit since had a different battery connections on the battery it self. Best would be Bolt and Washer threw cable to under side of old battery terminal, and a threw bolt and washer with nut on battery terminal post. As they make battery's that have that type terminals.
Like used on a Lawn and Garden ones

so when you cut the top off, did you have to saw all the way through the battery? at first I was picturing just cutting through the case all the way around, but then it occurred to me that with everything connected toothier inside, the top would still be connected to the guts.

also, how did you fill/drain it? these are sealed batteries???

thanks...