Originally Posted By Jim_Lusk
Shoulder belts were available as early as 1966 and optional into the 1969 model year (I believe Jan 1, 1969 was the mandatory date).

Federal Motor Vehicle Standard 208 making shoulder belts mandtory 1 January 1968

A "sash" or shoulder harness is a strap that goes diagonally over the vehicle occupant's outboard shoulder and is buckled inboard of his or her lap. The shoulder harness may attach to the lap belt tongue, or it may have a tongue and buckle completely separate from those of the lap belt. Shoulder harnesses of this separate or semi-separate type were installed in conjunction with lap belts in the outboard front seating positions of many vehicles in the North American market starting at the inception of the shoulder belt requirement of the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 208 on 1 January 1968. However, if the shoulder strap is used without the lap belt, the vehicle occupant is likely to "submarine", or slide forward in the seat and out from under the belt, in a frontal collision. In the mid-1970s, 3-point belt I systems such as Chrysler's "Uni-Belt" began to supplant the separate lap and shoulder belts in American-made cars, though such 3-point belts had already been supplied in European vehicles such as Volvos, Mercedes, and Saabs for some years.

Also, shoulder belts were not seen until the middle of the model year of 68. My GTS had a build date of December 27th, 1967 and didn't have a provision for a shoulder harness.

Checked my broadcast sheet and it was an option that could be checked off. Anyone have broadcast sheet after December 67 showing shoulder belts as an option?

Last edited by dart4forte; 01/14/17 10:55 PM.

“So if it’s on the internet it must be true”

Abe Lincoln