Originally Posted By Guitar Jones
Originally Posted By John_Kunkel
Originally Posted By DLJ
when I told him I would put in an orifice plug in the direct clutch he said I`d FRY my clutches...

Nonsense !!!! The "tech" probably believes that the delayed clutch engagement will cause the clutches to wear...we're only talking fractions of a second delay. In fact, the factory reduced the size of the front clutch feed orifice in the VB separator plate in '71 to eliminate overlap, the orifice plug does the same thing but further downstream.

His VB should already have the separator plate with two holes and a check ball in it for that port.

If you're referring to the port restrictor where the VB mates to the case (second pic below), that's for the rear clutch to protect the Belleville spring and came later than '71. The reduced front clutch orifice I referred to is internal and was reduced to .125" or less in '71. (the "D" orifice in the first pic)

It's common practice in shift kits (or bench overhauls) to open the "D" orifice and then use the removable port restrictor to control the flow. The logic here is to place the restrictor in a location where it can be changed without disassembling the VB.

TF-2 Ball (Medium).jpgRear Clutch Restrictor.jpg

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway