Quote:

Quote:

Now to really mix things up. this weekend at the World of Wheels car show in Milwaukee i talked with a guy who had his black on black 72 charger since he was 16 and never changed the rallye hood...it had no vents!

I'll post some pics later.

The mystery continues...

No mystery...his hood was replaced.
When Mopar went to the "no vent" style hood, they ALSO switched the wiper squirters from being a hood mounting type, to a wiper arm mounted type. That happened in 1974. Ask that guy where his wiper squirters are located...I'll bet he's running the 74-later wiper arms as well. I'd also check the front underhood deflector...I'm willing to bet it was the shorter 73/4 version.

The factory supplied replacements (a.k.a. crash parts) used ALL styles, depending on when they were stamped. I've personally seen 71 Bee / R/T hoods with 73 cowl vents. Mopar never installed them this way...but they were available as crash replacement parts. Keep in mind, these parts WERE used to repair damaged cars, or if you bought parts over the counter. It's possible to have ANY year hood louver style, depending what was available at the time.

As for ORIGIONAL HOODS....

71 used 2 styles....all louvers with NO gap, OR louvers with ~2" gap

72 used the 2" gap on the majority of hoods...

73 used the 2" gap or the 8"? gap (I've not measure the actual gap, but there is quite a wide gap, with few louvers)

74 used the 8"? or NO louvers at all.

Also, you can put a 73/4 hood on the earlier 71/2 with no modifications( as far as installing them), however, if you try to put a 71/2 hood on a 73/4, IT WILL NOT CLOSE, unless you modify the underside deflector.

thanks 440, I was wondering when you would come on here to straighten some of this stuff out.

I agree with you I think these are parts he modded over the years. It was a P coded 72 charger. As he was showing it to me I noticed the following:

1. standard shoebox dash
2. Rallye bulge hood w/ no vents - the bulge was also painted flat black
3. P on the vin which I thought was 400 - 2Bbl, but it was a 400 4 barrel (Tquad on tquad intake with the correct air cleaner)
4. E body style spoiler in the correct location
5. Definately a custom interior, but all of the creases and seams fit perfectly for a stock interior.

It was a very nice car, but something in me said there is NO WAY this is 100% stock.

On the hoods...did the hoods differ in 71 per factory or was it a mid year change?

'73 GK6 Challenger Rallye - 340 4-Speed