Originally Posted By xpsyclonex2002
Forgive me if I ask a stupid question. I have some rims and I'm looking to purchase for my 66 Coronet and I'm not sure about the technical side of backspacing. I am looking to convert to disc brakes and know that the backspacing should have something to do with that.i also know that backspacing also effects tire rub.
I have 17x7's W/1mm offset and 4" backspacing picked for the front. The rears will be 18x8 W/1mm offset and 4.5" backspacing. Will these work?

Do you have your tire specs yet? I just went through this for wheels n tires for the Challenger. The narrowed rear axle meant having to measure and confirm everything

You need to know the section width of your rear tires in order to figure out clearances.

Since your intended wheels are 1mm offset, that is basically saying 0 offset. So we know where your tire tread centerline is going to fall within the wheelwells. You can go off the hub face of the axle with a straightedge and eyeball the wheelwell arches for rub spots. Then youll be able to tell how far in to scoot the new wheels for clearance.

Remember: 0 offset means the tread centerline and the hub face are the same.

Are you with me so far?