Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:
Originally Posted By Stanton
Maybe you misread that ... that's 15 THOUSAND dollars - just for paint.

Let's just say 5,000 is for materials (just paint), at an exorbitant rate of $100 per hour that's 100 hours JUST TO PAINT - no bodywork. Are you kidding us !!!!

I can spend $3000+ easily on paint products as I won't prime and paint with junk or cheap crap, and 100 hrs can easily be spent blocking a car prior to paint,plus jambing, underchassis prep/paint, interior, trunk, etc, as well as actually painting the car, plus color sanding, buffing/polishing, etc

Plus a shop wants a "cushion" on the costs when/if something goes wrong during the paint process, as product/time to repair/redo something can eat into any profit quickly, a quality resto shop is going to have a paint/bodywork rate at $85-$100 per hr{/quote]

[quote]MCR quoted me $15K just to paint a perfect body on a buddies black hemi runner. No bodywork; just paint.

Yep, you missed the point ... "quoted me $15K just to paint a perfect body". Note the "perfect body" part !!!

Nope didn't miss the "point", I've quoted $10-$15K "just" to paint "perfect bodies" (which really are never that perfect, only in the owners mind, esp when they want a black paint job)

I'll assume your talking, prime, and blocking? I can spend $800-$1200 just on primer, and an easy 60-100 hrs blocking the car and components in primer, as far as the cost of paint, sky's the limit, depends on brand, how many stages, and quantity required for the job, I can expend up to 400 hrs into a finished paint job, if the vehicle is going to be painted top to bottom, inside/out, along with additional components that need to be painted off the vehicle, scoops/flares/spoilers/etc/etc, color sanding would consists of taking to car from 800 to 1000, to 1500, to 2000, to 2500, all the way up to 3000 (that's 6 times minimum around the vehicle color sanding) grit paper finish, most shops will cut the car with 600/800, then compound the piss out of it, then polish, only to have it re-orange peel a month or 2 down the road as the paint gases out, you get what you pay for, FYI...I know a few high end painters that get $30K minimum, "just for paint"

If you don't prep or paint, (which most don't) then you have no clue what your asking of a bodyman/painter when you outline the desired requirements for the vehicles finish