Wondering if somebody could steer me in the right direction here. I have a 1970 GTX street strip car. It has a 451, 12-1 compression, solid roller, 440-1 heads, and all the other matching stuff, and runs high 10's. Been more doing more street driving with it lately, and having a strange issue with the engine just killing on me sometimes. It usually happens after the 1st 10-15 minutes of driving. The car will run fine, and while I'm just cruising, the engine will just die, making a noise like its dieseling when it dies. I then pull over, and it usually takes about 30-60 secs to get it restarted, and then runs fine after that.

This problem started last fall, and the car had an old out of the box 1050 dominator carb. I figured it was the carb, so I bought a 1000hp carb from pro systems. Wanted a more streetable carb anyway. The car runs awesome with this new carb, but still has this issue, so I don't believe its the carb. When it does this, I never had the time to pull over and diagnose things, as I'm in traffic when this occurs. Strange thing is the car runs awesome pretty much all the time, and when this occurs, there is no warning. Its frustrating, as I'm not trusting the car anymore to take it places. Went to a friends party last night, and after 10 minutes of leaving, it did it again, and I was 30 miles from home. Took me a few minutes to get it restarted, and ran perfect the rest of the way.

I'm running a fuel cell in the trunk, and using 93 octane pump gas. I'm leaning towards a vapor lock or fuel percolation issue. If anybody has any advice to my problem, would love to hear from ya, thanks!