Alright....so the freshened up heads are now back on my 360 block, next step is to check the pushrod lengths.

I am using 1.5 ratio roller rocker arms now, great pieces, no complaints. But, I do have the 1.6 ratio Crane ductile iron ones and truth be told I've been itching to try them out.

So here are some pics of the rocker arm "nose" to valve-tip alignment scenarios. I'm looking for feedback regarding what is considered to be the best/recommended choice. Since I used rocker arm shaft shims here that will impact the pushrod length, so I want to get this right.

Here we go:

1) the current roller rockers, the actual roll contact pattern itself is literally perfect, dead smack in the middle of the valve-tip

2) same as above but with the use of a valve-stem cap, just for comparison pursposes, I do not use them today but given the move to non-rocker arms I'm considering their use

3) 1.6 ratio arms with no shim

4) 1.6 ratio rockers with no shim and with cap

5) 1.6 ratio arms with 0.040" shim

6) 1.6 ratio rockers with 0.040" shim and cap

I have the 0.020" shims as well, but I think the 0.040" is the most I would need. To me it looks like the 0.040" stuff gives the best alignment.

The non-roller rocker will swipe across the valve-stem and therefore I'm looking to start slightly off-center and finish slightly off-center. But heck, tell me if I'm wrong here...

Thanks!