Originally Posted By HotRodDave
Seems if a guy was to add a tab to the upper end of the rocker it could keep it from falling off if (I really mean when) the lifter bleeds down. I don't really have any ideas for the timing chain tensioners we see failing, perhaps a stiff spring could be added inside the tensioner so it is not relying on oil pressure to keep it tight. The other big issue I see a lot is head gaskets and cracked heads, I got no ideas there asside from really good machining of the head and block surface, MLS head gaskets and DON"T LET IT OVERHEAT for ANY TIME AT ALL! Seems chrysler has forgot how to build an engine to take a little overheating.

Hmmm... Things to ponder. Thanks for your insight Dave! One last thought; what about oil pressure or volume? I wonder if the pump is just worn enough to be a part of the issue? I'm going to get a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it asap and start monitoring it. It seems to me that if the timing chain tensioner and these "lifters" are oil pressure dependent, that upping the pressure, or maybe volume, might help? And as far as the overheating issue, I'll just keep a closer eye on the cooling system. I'm not doing, nor plan to do any heavy use with it, but I will keep it in mind now.

I got this truck with the intent to not have to work on it much and not be having to modify it to get what I wanted from it, like I usually do with my older rigs. That my not be the case. I think that I'm going to start changing the filter once the oil starts showing discoloration, and see what happens. I might be able to gain on it that way. But if I have to, I guess I'll dig into it. The Hemi swap sounds great, but I think I want to leave it alone. If it becomes a problem child, trading in or selling a stock truck is far easier than one with a swapped motor in it. Besides, I'd rather do that in a 2wd, and mine is 4wd. Less crap to beef up.

25 Dodge Roadster
66 D100 440/727 (on 72 D100 chassis)
67 W200 360/727
72 IH TravelAll 1110 4x4 345/727/NP205
76 Scout 2 360/727/D20
'08 Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4wd 4.7L