Quote:

Well as I said it a street strip motor in a 4000lb! charger w/ a neutral balance stock 11" flywheel (ya I know but I run a scatter can, cant afford flywheel yet) would be curious what you think about over under balancing as you were talking about. Also aprox ,just because you brought it up, what are some of the over under balances youve seen.

Just to reiterate, it was a machine shop neutral balanced.

I've seen 15 grams over or under. For me it's more about them being the same cylinder to cylinder. I'd rather be 10 grams heavy on every piston than to have just one heavy. When you think about what's going on in there just the weight of oil that's being slung around, the drag from the rings, the load differences through the RPM range, and a host of other things including side loading, 5 grams isn't the end of the world.

When we do a balance job for a customer we get no more accurate than a half gram, but more importantly trying to keep all 8 the same. With aluminum rods you'll find some variance too, but I won't go cutting on an rod without a balance pad like a factory rod has to correct a gram or two, it's not worth it, and it'll do more harm than good. I like things to perfect as much as anyone in the world. We've done balance jobs that cost $1500 with mallory and time when you have heavy parts, so I understand your feelings, but I wouldn't worry myself over what you've described.

There are also lots of arguments about how much oil weight to account for where 5 grams would be on both sides of the fence.