So I looked at some past threads and it sounds like this is a common problem. Mine is driving me crazy as I am about to go with my third set of head gaskets. I have a newer reproduction hemi block and an original set of 64 Race Hemi heads. Both block and heads have been machined two years ago. The first head gasket I used was the MP steel shim gasket. I used copper spray and Permatex 2A around the oil drain holes and water passages. ARP studs torqued to 80 lb ft torque per instructions. Leaked right away on front driver side and a small amount on passenger side rear. The leak at the front was pretty bad, but I kept engine running to break in the cam. Pulled it apart and swapped to a multi-layer fel-pro. Used Hylomar Blue around oil and coolant holes. We use Hylomar on our turbomachinary at work and it seems to work well even under pressurized oil passages. Still leaks, but not real bad.

So now, I have a pair of Cometic gaskets and another tube of Hylomar. But I have read that sealant is not necessary. Or should I get Permatex Ultra Copper Silicone or Right Stuff as I have read recommended in other posts.

I have also checked to make sure the dowel pin isn't holding the head off. I looked into the passages with a flashlight and the one that leaks appears to have a slight offeset between the head and block. Not quite 1/16" (drain back holes are 7/16" diameter), but the others are also off slightly, so not sure if that is a cause. I doubt it since I made sure to spread the sealant out over 1/4" away from hole.

Any other suggestions? I WANT to drive the car this year for change. Its been two years. If this doesn't work, I will be very disappointed as I have always wanted a cross ram Hemi.

Thanks in advance.

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg) - Major Project
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
2023 Ford Mach 1