I tackled some planned projects on the car for better drivability and performance (electronic fan upgrade, grade 8 bolts through the the driver side motor mount and a torque strap on passenger side, and heavier guage starter and ground wires to help with starting). And after some cruising to make sure all was working, I started having fun and hurt something.

I need your help to figure out what I hurt on the rear or rule it out so I can focus on the trans. Gave it near full throttle from a stand still. Took off nice and straight and hard. Then felt like it was in neutral and gave me a really bad metallic clattering sound. I let off the gas and as the rpm dropped the car lurched and started moving fwd again but with the horrible metal grinding sound. I was literally minutes away from home so I limped home. If I hit the gas too much it freewheeled again and then would buck and catch with that metallic grinding as the rpm dropped. Oneven time it locked up and the car tried to stop in its tracks then bucked and moved fwd again. So I idled on home the rest of way. My drive way is steep and it didn't do anything weird when I had to give it the gas to go up. I also didn't hear or feel the grinding or anything else while idling forward but its kind of hard to over the Flowmasters.

So what do I look for.

I figured I'd start with the basics. Disconnect driveshaft and check trans mount, u joints. Lift rear of car put in N and spin the tire to see if they go the same way like it should. Then I'll put one side at a time on the ground and try spin the opposite tire to test if the SG is still holding and how strong. I'll look for any obvious signs of damage, listen for anything wierd.

Anything else I should look for before I start talking about opening it up? What to look for when I do?

What can I do to inspect the trans besides drop the pan and inspect the fluid? I just want to have some idea of what to look forward to replacing? Trans rebuild, wouldn't be happy about it but ok. Rear end, harder to find in good condition for my 1 yr only rear. Maybe use it as a chance to upgrade to Dana 60 or 727.

If I think of anything else I will add another post with the info.

It was the car in my signature, 71 Satellite sedan, magnum based 408, 904 with low gear set and trans go TF2 shift kit, 8.75 rear with 3.23 suregrip with 7290 u joints

Last edited by roe; 03/28/16 08:45 PM.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG