Guys,

I have an issue that has been a tad annoying on my Charger from day one. Anytime I drive the car and get it good and hot and then cut it off, it's a roll of the dice if I can get the starter to turn it over fast enough to start for 5-8 minutes after it is cut off. This makes it a real PITA to stop and get gas, etc.

The motor is a 499 stroker 10.4:1 compression so I do have a lot to turn over. I recently did a cam swap to lower the cranking compression and make the motor more pump gas friendly. DCR went from 8.51:1 --> 7.8 with the new cam.

I was hoping this cam would help somewhat with the starter but seems to be about the same. When the motor is cold, the starter can spin it like a top. Battery is good and new Interstate brand and electrical system/cables are in excellent shape.

I also have a starter blanket installed but that didn't fix it. I also have headers which one tube is about 1/2" from the starter so it gets baked pretty well down there. The starter itself is a brand X from AutoZone. I had the initial timing down to 14* which didn't seem to help either and I need to run more than that anyways.

I know I am not the only one here with a mild stroker like this and headers. What starter can I buy that will be more impervious to this heat soak issue??? Would one of the "performance" units like PowerMaster do better or I am throwing money away?

Does anybody have a brand/part number for a mini-starter that they have experience working well in this situation?

Thanks!!thumbs