I tried to read through everything but frankly I'm not a fast reader so I might have missed some stuff. You had mentioned early in the thread a number of times that when your convertor locked up...........I'm assuming you mean when it reached it lowest slip point and not actually that is was a lock up converter. The reason I bring that up that up is I know they made a lock up 727 in trucks for small blocks, not sure there was every a big block application or not (assuming again that with 500 cubes you are running a BB) but I think I remember from conversations in the past that it only realy requires the change of the input shaft, the converter and maybe the front pump to convert it to a lock up convertor. Sowould it be fisible to change your trans to untilize a lock up convertor? Does someone make one or can someone build one strong enough to hold your torque? I know some lock ups are solinode operated but do I remember some were locked by fluid pressure or centrifugal force or something. If that can be done you will loose the slipage and 3.55s will be fine with a 28 inch tire.

I run 3.91s in my AAR with 28 inch tires but a 4 speed and I'll hang it on about 3 grand and let it ride, it's soemwhere around 68-70 mph. I have driven it 1000 miles 1 way several times in the last couple of years.

I run 3.54s in my Coronet with 28 inch tires also a 4 speed and really don't have an issue keeping up with traffic but it actually sounds like it is working harder than the AAR. I'vedriven it 1000 miles 1 way once and several hundred miles 1 way a few times.

I run 3.23s in my Charger with 28 inch tires and a 727 and I have to pay attention or I'll be passing everything (might have to do with driving the other cars grin). Strangely enough I haven't taken it over 100 miles one way but I think it is getting the 1000 mile trip this year.

I run 3.25s in my Comet with a 260 and a 2 speeds auto with 25.5 inch tires and it sounds like it's gonna grenade at 70+ mph but it hasn't yet. Numerous 500 and 1000 mile 1 way trips, many quarts of oil.

Those are the only ones I drive any distance that gears would matter.

Careful, your character's showing!