Originally Posted By dogdays
You guys seem to believe that water flows like toothpaste out of a tube. It doesn't. It's a liquid, not a semi-liquid. The pump gives energy to the water, and the energy can be in the form of pressure or velocity (or temperature for that matter). This energy changes from pressure to velocity when the flow encounters a smaller cross-section, and changes from velocity to pressure when the cross-section increases.

But there's no free lunch. The restriction costs some energy, and a lot of that loss is from the sudden change in cross-section, both entrance and exit. So the best way to use those housings with the restrictions is to make the restrictions as large as you safely can, then make gradual transitions to the larger sizes both upstream and downstream of the restriction itself. Think venturi-like shapes.

On to heat load: If you're not using the extra horsepower your stroker is capable of, the power being generated is the same. The amount of heat rejected into the coolant COULD increase by the proportional increase in cylinder wall area, except that most of the heat comes from the head. The extra surface uncovered by the piston is at the bottom of the water jacket, and that's where temperatures are lowest. Also there's the extra friction caused by the longer stroke, meaning both longer piston travel and faster piston speeds.

It is my educated guess that the extra heat load from your stroker is no more than proportional to the displacement increase, and probably less. If you increased the compression ratio and increased thermal efficiency it may be quite a bit lower than directly proportional.

What this means is that a stroker doesn't necessarily reject a lot more heat into the coolant than the engine from which it was derived.

R.

I understand that an engine stock ci or stroker is going to build more heat when under max load and building the most HP.
Building HP creates heat, pretty simple.

You're not going to convince me that putting a flow restriction by reducing the size of a port in 1/2 (two in this case) isn't going to reduce heat transfer (from the block to the coolant and then to the radiator).
If the flow is restricted then the transfer isn't going to happen like it should.

In my case the radiator is at 155 degrees, the block is at 230+ degrees in warm weather.
The heat isn't getting pulled out of the block more than likely because the flow is restricted.
It's an 11-1 compression street build 572 Hemi with aluminum heads, nothing that radical.
4 core 26 inch Champion aluminum radiator.
Even with the thermostat out you can barely see the coolant flow in the radiator.

The only thing that hasn't been changed to fix it has been the housing.
Once it's all back together I'll know for sure if that was the problem.

If there wasn't a problem, why did 440 Source retool a new version with larger passages?

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol