Well, first of all cutting up a coupe to make a pickup is just plain wrong, kind of like rubbing the numbers off a $50 bill to make a $5. And it does take a considerable amount of metalwork to duplicate that Ute, probably much easier to import one from Oz.

Fabric roofs were on all sedans until the 1935 Chevy. The technology to make a one-piece stamping that big and complicated was developed by Fisher Body. When the all-steel top came about it was a major plus that GM advertised the heck out of. It was named the "turret top", kind of like a tank turret. It took the other companies a couple of years to catch up.

The thing about those fabric roofs is that they were relatively flat and it isn't easy to find a modern automobile roof that matches the shape. Years ago people used roofs from early '60s chevys, I know Ron remembers.

In my teens I owned a 1933 ford 1 1/2 ton truck, same cab as a '32 ford pickup. I recall it was a little cramped, with knees up close to my chin, but I managed to drive it a while. I was a few inches over 6' even then, and that was just what you had to do to drive it. One thing most don't remember is you had to be quite friendly with your copilot, those cabs were narrow.

I'd say give it a try. You probably wouldn't want to chop the top or channel the body over the frame.

R.