Hello,

I have been having more fuel related drivability problems this year than I had last year. When I say "fuel related drivability problems" I am referring to severe stumbling, severe hesitation, engine shutting off, etc. I know it is fuel related because I can smell fuel when the signs start. One of the things I did over the winter was paint my aluminum M1 intake with the Mopar Chrysler red paint. The other thing I did was remove the Holley heat shield; didn't think it was doing much. The Carter mechanical fuel pump, feed line and return line are all the same as last year. Same carb, air cleaner, headers, timing (36 total), radiator, etc. The car runs at 185 - 195 degrees according to my temp gauge and my Craftsman laser temp gauge (pointed at timing cover and thermostat housing). I am wondering if the issues that I am having are due to the painted intake not allowing the heat to be dissipated.

This weekend I drove my 68 Barracuda up into the foothills and mountains of Colorado (Peak-to-Peak byway). I had put about a half-tank of ethanol free gas in it prior to the trip. The temperature for the day was in the mid 80's in Denver and got progressively cooler as I climbed in altitude. I had the drivabilty issues occur several times, even at higher altitudes where the temps were much cooler. Two of the issues resulted in the car shutting off. The car started again, but I had to have the carb throttle blades wide open to get it to start. Once I started to descend, I did not have the issue again. The temp gauge, which reads coolant temp from intake, never hit 190 during the entire trip. I drove the car home in the evening and had no further problems.

Is the fuel worse than it was last year or did painting the intake and removing the Holley heat shield have that much of an effect?

I forgot to mention that I participated in a poker run from Woodland Park to Cripple Creek, which included going over a mountain pass (11,000 feet) around the same time last year without a single hiccup.

Also forgot to mention I have a 1/2" phenolic spacer in between the annular discharge carb and intake.

Last edited by jbeintherockies; 09/28/15 11:45 AM.