Originally Posted By Moonraker
Want to do the MAD electrical ammeter bypass on my Duster but I have new wiring harnesses all the way around and dont really want to damage them by widening the wire pass through at the bulkhead. Could I get the same or similar results by simply splicing the two wires together at the gauge and running a 10 gauge wire from the alternator to the starter relay? I'm thinking that this would work and/or atleast decrease the load on the smaller harness wires. I know the best fix is to do the voltmeter conversion but I dont have the cash on hand right now for it. Thoughts?

That's pretty much what I did. Works fine. With a stock or moderately upgraded alternator 10 gauge would be fine. OE was 12 gauge max. Bigger wire sizes for a bigger alternator. Also need a fusible link or a fuse in the wire. The AP store will usually stock 14 gauge fusible link which matches up with 10 gauge wire (2 gauge sizes smaller).

Your new harness should have ignition switched accessory taps or there is one on the fuse block. Either would be fine for a low cost AP store voltmeter which could be mounted in an inconspicuous spot under the dash.