A few weeks back I painted my steering column parts with Rustoleum Textured paint. Since I'm not "restoring" the car, getting a perfect match to the factory finish isn't critical. However, I was concerned with the durability of the Rustoleum product. There is also more "gloss" to the Rustoleum product than original. Some have also mentioned that the texture is coarser but this is more dependent on the number of caots and thickness.

Since doing those parts there was a large Mopar show up here in Canada and there was a vendor there selling virtually every Mopar color in rattle cans. This is genuine automotive paint which he's had mixed and canned to original specs. For the "show special" price of $20 I figured I had nothing to lose by buying a can and redoing the parts.

The end result, in my opinion, is that this stuff is probably AS GOOD AS any other product claiming to give an "original" finish. But in most cases at a fraction of the cost. There is easily enough product in the can to do an entire dash and the other textured components.

In my case, I primed the parts with a standard primer then shot two coats. My texture is a little coarser than original. The supplier's suggestion is to prime with an appropriately tinted primer, in this case black, and shoot a single coat of texture. I suspect this would yield a perfect finish.

Below are a bunch of photos of both the product and my finished pieces.

IMG_0866.JPGIMG_0867.JPGIMG_0868.JPG