i have done a couple of no option cars "one wire at a time", as well as a couple using painless kits, one with a ron francis kit, but the one that REALLY taxed my patience was a 55 chevy my one buddy has that he used a factory fuel injection set up based on a 95 corvette harness, plus a ton of electrical options. that one drove me nuts. the harness that was used was a mix of a [i don't really remember the brand name or number of curcuits] swap meet kit, plus an engine harness from "speed & performance" [ if i remember correctly ] out of mena, arkansas. those guys found out i was a real DUMMY on f.i. systems ! [my first one actually.] i learned stuff i didn't want to know ! [ i won't tell my buddy it was an honest, fun project that i am glad i undertook !] that took many phone calls and a FSM from a 95 cadillac to get running, but has been running flawless for the last 6-7 years, so i feel pretty proud about that project. i have, over the years, seen many kits at swap meets that were very good quality, using high grade wire, terminals, and relays at very good prices. but i have also seem my share of junk i wouldn't wire a desk lamp with. if you feel comfortable doing this task, a quality digital ohm meter, a test light, quality crimp and strip tools, and a suplimental 12v power supply will be your best friends ! as well as a FSM diagram of the column of choice [in your case the 89 dak], and schematics of starting, charging, and lighting circuits. also something i strongly advise is to record the wire colors and gage sizes used in the various circuits in a book or file for use in the future. don't be afraid. i believe you will find it fun and quite rewarding at the end. just try to keep the "magic smoke" inside where it belongs. grin
beer