Hi guys, only had my Coronet a week and have broken down twice already so going to need some help.

It's a 69 Coronet with a 383 V8 and 4 Barrel Holley Carb.

Basically it starts up fine and will drive ok for about 30 minutes but then it will shut off when driving like it's run out of fuel(it has plenty of fuel in it), when you try and start it up again, the first few times it will start up briefly for a few seconds then shut off again, after the first few attempts it will then not start up at all, it will then need to be left for about an hour to cool down and then it will start up perfect and run for about 10 minutes before just shutting off again

The first time I broke down was the day I got it and I was with the previous owner still, he had a spare mechanical fuel pump and replaced that which I thought may have cured it but no joy.

He said he did have a similar problem 4 years ago when he first got it and he replaced the fuel pump pushrod and it's been ok ever since up until now, so could it be another faulty pushrod ? Or maybe a fuel evaporation problem ? If you look at the below pictures I noticed the fuel hose to the carb is sitting really tight on the distributor and the distributor was very hot, could this be the problem ? Maybe re-route it and get a braided hose ?

Car runs ok when it's driving and temperature is about 180F and goes to about 190F in traffic, it seems to shut off around the 190F mark.

The engine bay does feel very hot when you open the hood but am I right in thinking that's pretty normal for a big engine ?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by JFChallenger440; 06/30/15 08:43 PM.