I have had good luck with flat tappet cams and in fact I have never wiped a cam at all. Right now I run a solid flat tappet cam that is a custom grind from Dwayne Porter. He gives his specs to comp cams who grind what he tells them and he has the cam nitrided. I also run Comp EDS flat tappet lifters with the oil hole in the bottom of them. I broke this cam in around early June 2011. I did remove the inner springs to break the cam in and I use Valvoline 20W-50 VR1 racing oil with a bottle of the Comp zinc additive. Everytime I change my oil I add a small bottle of Riseoline zinc additive along with 7 qts of Valvoline 20W-50 VR1 racing oil and its still running great on all 8 cylinders. I put my inner springs back in about 4 days after breaking in the cam and running the car some each day. I am a believer in the EDM lifters as they have worked flawless in my cars and in my buddies 383 that we broke in his hydraulic flat tappet cam last September. Using the Valvoline VR1 racing oil and a bottle of the zinc additive has worked flawless for me. Ron