Quote:

Thanks for the info guys. Reason I asked is I have a 400 block that was bored .010 over and has .030 440 pistons in it and they come flush to the top of the block. Not sure what part # the pistons are but remember that they were purchased and once received noticed that they were designed to lower the compression in the motor to be capable of running "todays gas". So I'm guessing they are .030 replacement pistons for the newer 440 motors (76-78) that only had 8:1 compression or so. I can't remember what rods were used in the combo and I don't want to tear the motor apart as it is complete, so I'm thinking I must have used the 400 rods and with the 440 pistons being (I don't know the correct term, but have the wrist pin higher up in the piston to lower compression) made it come flush to the top of the block.

That's what I did. My pistons ended up .008 in the hole for a 9.3:1 CR. Stock 400 rods but I don't remember the part no for the pistons. I went with a .038 over bore and .060 over 440 pistons.