I am having problems with my '67 Valiant's electrical system. I started it and the alternator gauge stayed on the negative side of Zero instead of going to the positive. I took my 4 year old battery to the auto parts store and they checked it on their machine and told me that it was no good. I bought a new battery and a new voltage regulator also. I cleaned my cables and installed the new battery and voltage regulator and it still discharges when running. If I turn on the headlights, it discharges even more. I had a new alternator on hand, so I installed it along with a new fan belt, but it didn't help at all. The engine turns over quickly and it fires up instantly and all of the lights, etc. all work fine. I checked the voltage at both the battery and the alternator when the engine is running with a tester and it says "low output" and my battery begins to lose voltage slowly but surely. Any ideas on what my problem is? What is the best way to bypass the factory ammeter gauge and to install a voltmeter? Thanks.