Can someone explain how to set timing to maximum vacuum?

I just put a new intake and 1406 on a stock 400. It starts perfectly with one turn of the key, it warms up, idles, and revs up with no problems, it turns off as soon as they key is turned off, no deisling. Problem is, when I put it in reverse while running, with my foot on the brake, it dies. I havent tried any forward gears yet, just trying to back it out of the driveway. It will stay running if I keep my foot on the gas while putting it in reverse.

My first step is to check for vacuum leaks, which Im pretty sure there are none, but I'll check anyways. I sealed the intake and valley pan very well. Then I'll time it. It has a new replacement oem style vacuum advance distributor (something from autozone) that I put a pertronix 3 in. It has matching flamethrower coil.

I read on a mopar forum to unplug the vacuum advance and set base timing to 16 deg, then set my idle mix screws until I get max vacuum, then have someone rev to 3000 and set my total timing to 34 degrees, then plug vacuum back in and adjust +/- about 5 degress to find optimum.

Im a little confused by this can someone enlighten me?