Quote:

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't you have to bore the cylinders to get them straight? Or can a hone do that too?

Also if I go to whatever bore cleans up straight, is there a on the shelf ring size close to this bore that won't cost an arm and leg?

I'm not trying to be cheap, I have a lot of upgrades planned this winter and don't want to fall on unexpected costs.

You obviously don't bore to final size..........you hone it, so YES, a hone will fix your problem. Too many people think that when a motor gets worn, you must "bore" it to .010, .020, .030, whatever over. NOT true. You hone the motor to the minimum size that gets all the cylinders to SAME size and straight. THEN you order pistons to whatever that bore size is. So lets say your block is clean and straight at 4.186, that's the size you order pistons for and the piston maker will set the clearance in the piston. So what about rings for an odd bore? No problem there either. Rings are "file fit", so you simply order a set of 4.185 bore rings, just like you did before, only you file them less. Its really THAT simple. Again, many are under the assumption that rings are specific for EVERY bore size made. No sir......a ring set of a certain size can be used in MANY bore sizes

Monte