Through the past 8 months, Tom and I have realized that the YJ based SOA front suspension on his '58 Willys Wagon is not up to the task. We have decided on a few ways to improve the durability of the front suspension and increase the vehicles offroad performance.

The old 63" wide axles are being swapped out for some full width axles and the front suspension is being converted to a 3-link with coilovers. The axles gears are being exchanged to 4.88's from the 4.10's in preparation for future 42" Pitbull Rockers.

Since Tom drives like his rig like a bulldozer and hitting trees has bent both his front leaf springs, a beefy 3-link will take care of that issue. Most link suspension use 2"OD 1/4" wall tubing for the links and 1.75"OD 1/8" wall tubing for the track bar. Tom's will use 2.25"OD 3/8" wall tubing for the links and 2"OD 1/4" wall tubing for the track bar. He is not bending these

The only differences out back are the gear change, axle width, and the TMR shave kit to smooth out the bottom of the axle.

I have accumulated all of the parts and have begun preparing the axles for the swap. Tom is handling the gear/locker installs and brakes, while I handle the welding and suspension end.

I just welding on the first part of the front axle today, an Artec truss.

8406876-1-24-15-01.JPG (125 downloads)
Last edited by moparts; 01/26/15 02:51 PM.