the frames from most newer trucks work out great, I haven't found one that wouldn/t work out somehow,
I have seen COEs on chevy 1 ton chassis and Dodge full size and Dakota chassis and even on an astrovan chassis. the astrovan chassis is great for building a COE PU style truck as it has 5 lug wheels a huge sway bar and 13" rotors and the steering box is mounted straight up so the steering column works out fantastic, it is a front subframe that unbolts form the astrovan and you just graph a rear frame to it and your ready to go.

the way I do mine is I crank down the front end to about ride height(or cut coils) and set the body and fenders on the frame where the steering box just misses the front fender and I mount the body low with about 3-4" to the fender and set it up on blocks of wood and then I start making body mounts.

most of the time I change the wheelwell opening as the stock opening is way to large (like around 43") and sometimes I remake the opening all together. I also widen most of the fenders 2-3" for better clearence because I like my COE's very low.
and making a column work, i have used mid 70's tilt columns but the newer FWD cars have very short columns and a nice ujoint, remember you sit much closer to the steering box so the column will be straighter up than in most trucks.

Like any other streetrod you have to fabricate things to make them work for you Ron...