Many electronic ign systems can eliminate the ballast if designed as they can control the dwell and current flow through the coil primary circuit by how long they want it grounded to build up a strong enough magnetic field by the electronics in the unit. Just like GM HEI eleiminated the resistance wire they used in the cars wire harness that feeds the coil primary + side that they used on their point systems right up until they eleminated points and went to HEI around 1974. Yes Ford and GM used primary resistance to drop the voltage and current flow to the coil just like Mopar only they used a resistance wire that was part of the wire harness from the ign switch to the coil. I remember that article when it ran in Mopar Muscle about 5 years or so ago as they basically said if you have electronic ign you dont need a ballast. Hymm then why did Mopar engineers still use one in their electronic ign and Ford also still used a resistance wire in their wire harness when they first went to electronic ign around 1974 with their Dura Spark ign as they called it. I have been using the old big yellow Acell Super Coil since 1999 in my cars with the MP orange ECU and a .75 ballast as its still on my 63 working great to 6500 rpm and never missing a beat running 10's. And I have never had any ign part go bad as its the same ballast I started using in 1999 when I put the setup on my Dart first and then transfered it to my 63. So should I take off my ballast for a hotter spark and chance burning up a coil since that article says so ?? Na I dont think I will ruin a good ign thats worked flawless for me. Ron