Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I just picked up a Jeep with a 6.1. Who has a cliff notes versions of what's different between the 5.7 and the 6.1? Where does the bigger 6.4 fit in?

5.7 3.92 bore x 3.58 stroke
6.1 4.055 bore x 3.58 stroke
both can use the same cam

6.4 has a new block design 4.09 bore x 3.92 stroke.
6.4 block is stronger design.
all cranks interchange.
not the cams.
the 5.7 to 08 has a three bolt reluctor wheel.
all 6.1 and 6.4 and 5.7 09 and up have 4 bolts reluctor wheels. plus the 09 and up use more teeth on the reluctor wheel.

Heads
03 to 08 5.7. ported will go 330
09 and up 5.7 "Eagle" will go 330 out of the box and 360+ ported
6.1 heads are supposed to be the heads to get. Just read that somewhere. but apparently don't flow as well as the eagle in stock form.
6.4 "Apache" IIRC was 2011+ will go 340 OOTB and 400 ported
All heads interchange. Always use gaskets for your block that your using.
Matt

cranks will interchange journal wise but a crank from a VVT engine in a non VVT engine would require machining to allow the crank sprocket to line up with the cam sprocket. The snout of the VVT cranks are longer too. Everything on the front of a VVT engine is spaced away from the block further to accommodate the VVT. Timing covers don't interchange either.

I have a 2012 5.7 block and I want to run all aftermarket forged bottom end. Can the non VVT aftermarket cranks be used in the 12 block with the appropriate timing cover? Is there any machine work that needs to be done to the block to make it work for non VVT application or will this even work at all? I know the plastic block plugs are needed to eliminate the MDS and planning custom lifters converted to full solid and aftermarket rocker gear.

05 Ram 1500 Daytona package
71 Demon Gen3 hemi drag radial project

Missin' my 9 second 70 runner!